JFK 50 The Homecoming
Celebrate the 50th anniversary of the JFK visit to Wexford
The JFK 50 promises a series of highlight events to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the JFK visit to his ancestoral home in New Ross, Co Wexford. Preident Kennedy's visit to Ireland in 1963 was a pivitol moment in Irish history and will be commemorated by a series of events held in New Ross & Wexford. The events will include the following;
1. The Journey (May 29th) - The Gathering Torch is ignited from the JFK Eternal Flame at Arlington Cemetery, USA, and begins the journey to New Ross.
2. Kennedy Legacy Forum (May 31st - June 2nd) - A partnership between New Ross Town Council and Boston College promoting the ideals and legacy of the Kennedys through educational initiatives.
3. John Barry Maritime Festival Wexford (June 20th - June 23rd) - Celebrates John Barry ‘Father of the US Navy’ , another wonderful emigrant story.
4. The Homecoming Event (June 22nd) - Commemorating the 1963 visit of President John F Kennedy to New Ross.
The day begins with the Homecoming Parade, a community based street theatre performance celebrating the emigrants’ story. The Parade leads to New Ross Quayside where an Taoiseach Enda Kenny, T.D will officially open the New Ross Quayside development and unveil the Kennedy Trail. The starting point of the Kennedy Trail will be the lighting the Emigrants Flame concluding the journey of The Gathering Torch to New Ross.
Opening of the Kennedy Homestead - Official opening of the Kennedy Homestead Visitor
Centre at Dunganstown by Taoiseach Enda Kenny T.D.
JFK Arboretum Tree planting ceremony in remembrance of the JFK visit to Ireland in 1963.
5. Irish America Day (July 4th) - Celebration of the American National Day of Independence.
6. Kennedy Leadership Programme and Kennedy Leadership Medal (July)- A programme of civil and political science for young people featuring the award of the Kennedy Leadership Medal.
7. Kennedy Summer School (Sept 12th - Sept 15th) - A Festival of Irish and American Culture, History and Politics.
8. The Remembering (Nov 22nd) - A wreath laying ceremony with mass in remembrance of President JFK Kennedy.
It is hoped that the events, such as bringing home the Gathering Torch will, recall the JFK homecoming in 1963 and how that visit captivated the spirit a nation; honour John F. Kennedy’s memory and his inspirational leadership; create a sense of place for visitors to the Kennedy Homestead and lineage in Dunganstown; reignite the potential of Ireland’s global reach through its Diaspora; remember and mark the tragedy of his untimely death in November 1963, and create a tangible legacy of the 1963 visit for a global audience.