Tulach a’tSolais Monument

Opening Hours: Access available all year

Tulach a’ tSolais monument, Oulart, County Wexford, Ireland

“The construction of a tulach or burial mound, as a place of connection between the world of the living and the ‘other world’ was common in ancient Ireland. The United Irishmen’s uprising of 1798, fuelled by the revolutionary example of the United States and France, took place at Oulart Hill. Victory led to the establishment of the fledgling Wexford Republic; defeat at Vinegar Hill three weeks later, on the summer solstice, June 21st, marked its eclipse.

Tulach a’ tSolais, was built to commemorate the bicentenary of this rebellion and is the product of dynamic collaboration between the sculpture Micheal Warren and Dr. Ronald Tallon.”


Tallon calls Warren’s two sculptures – horizontal curving tablets of 200-year-old Irish oak that make a shrine of the interior – “upturned hands, offering hope for the future.” Warren likens them to the cremation bowls found in Newgrange.”

On both the Spring and Autumn Equinox the monument is perfectly aligned to catch the setting sun and typically there is a crowd of interested locals and visitors alike, looking forward to witnessing this spectacular natural light show!

On April 10th, 2014  nine trees of nine ancient Irish appletree varieties were planted to form what must surely be a uniquely authentic celebration by a small rural community of its own ancient local placename. The local name Oulart is derived from the Irish word Abhallghort meaning Orchard

The monument is open to the public 365 days of the year and can be found along the Oulart Hill walking route. Though it is possible to drive to the monument directly. 


Send A