Tulach a' tSolais and Oulart Hill 1798 Battlefield

Tulach a' tSolais and Oulart Hill 1798 Battlefield

The Oulart Hill 1798 Battlefield Walking Hub comprises three walking trails centred on Oulart The ’98 Village and the Tulach a' tSolais Monument which will offer the walker lovely walks in a natural environment laden with 1798 historical sites some twenty of which will be marked by commemorative stones the gift of Simon Rath of Carraigín and carved by Páraic Doyle of Bun Clóidí. The first and shortest walk – called Cosán na Glóire [Path of Glory] runs across the level summit from the car-park to Tulach a’ tSolais: the biggest monument in the world dedicated to 1798 and the most nuanced. It was described by T K Whitaker as ‘a monument to 1798 in its particular context of the 1798 Rising’ Cosán na Glóire provides a lovely relaxing level walk for families with small children and for older people who wish to take the air out among the vast panoramas of county Wexford which surround the hill on all sides.

Then there is the Jean Kennedy Smith Walk – a 4km. loop from Oulart The ’98 Village up Oulart Hill and across via Cosán an Glóire and Tulach a’ tSolais, returning via Bessy Breen’s Lane, Drover’s Lane past the Tree of Liberty, Cuanach’s House, the North Cork Lane and the 1898 Monument to end at the GAA Grounds opposite the Parish Church and ’98 Chapel. Mrs Kennedy Smith, then the United States Ambassdor to Ireland, was very taken with the significance of Tulach a’ tSolais and agreed to turn the first sod on the site in May 1998.

Thirdly there is the jewel in the crown – The Unyoke Walk. This is an 11 km. linear walk from Oulart Hill down into the mediaeval village of Lower Oulart on the source of the Aughinall River which flows under the bridge of beautiful Blackwater village. Passing the Olden Days House of Stories it turns abruptly to heave up and over Sliabh na Gréine via three kilometres of the ancient untarred Wexford-Dublin Coach road; along through Aughmore by the Fairy Lane and Ballinamonabeg to the 1798 home of Edward Fitzgerald of Newpark and around via Tobarbeg Lane to the Trading Post Camper Park in the Unyoke.

Oulart Hill is approximately 70 minutes from Waterford and Kilkenny Cities.

Three Sisters 2020

Opening Times: 
Open to the public on 364 days per year. Closed 1 February every year for permissive right of way legal reasons.